Message from the Principal
Dear Fanny Jackson Coppin Family,
I am thrilled to be spending another year with you as the principal of this amazing school! I am looking forward to a fabulous year working collaboratively with you. As we enter the school year, I want to celebrate some exciting data points as momentum moving forward:
- We had the highest attendance rate in Network 10; 8th in the district overall.
- Our English as a second language (ESOL) students improved by more than 12% on the ACCESS test.
- We had the second highest STAR reading scores in the network as well as the largest gains.
- We had the third highest STAR math scores in the network.
- We reduced the percentage of students scoring at the lowest tier in math and reading more than any other school in the network (9th in the district).
- Compared to pre-pandemic PSSA data, we have made more progress than any other LN10 school and are out-performing pre-pandemic data in all subject areas.
For our students in grades 3-8, there are huge celebrations in regard to their PSSA data:
- In ELA, we made an 8% improvement in the percentage of students scoring advanced/proficient.
- In math, we made a 15% improvement in the percentage of students scoring advanced/proficient.
- In science, we made a 37% improvement in the percentage of students scoring advanced/proficient.
- Most schools across the country have not caught up to their pre-pandemic data. Not only have we caught up, we have surpassed our data and are one of the fastest growing schools in the district in regards to proficiency. In fact, we are number one in the district for reducing the number of students scoring below basic in math post-pandemic and only 9% of our population scored below basic in reading.
I am so excited to see what we will accomplish together this year!
Kelly Espinosa, Principal
Click here to view our 2022-23 End of Year Reflection.